Middle Years Programme
The middle year program is designed for students aged 11 to 16.
The program focuses on the learners, developing practical approaches to teaching with a healthy relationship, personal change and ethical responsibility. The program encourages students to become critical, creative and reflective humans. It builds upon the skills, attitudes and knowledge developed in the IB PYP. The program is unique based on its academic and personal focus, encouraging the students to excel in their personal growth and studies.
And IB education offers high-quality programs that share a powerful vision:
- Focuses on learners
The programs are centred around the students encourage ethical responsibility, personal change and healthy relationships.
- Develops practical approaches to learning
The program helps to develop skills needed for both personal and academic success.
- Works within global contexts
By exploring globally significant issues and ideas, we increase the understanding of cultures and languages.
- Explores significant content
The curriculum is balanced, connected and broad.
The MYP is flexible
The program is flexible and accommodates most of the local and national curriculum requirements. It builds upon the skills, attitudes and knowledge developed in the IB PYP and prepares you to meet the academic challenges later in school. We address your intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being and provide opportunities to develop the knowledge needed to take responsible actions in the future.
The program requires studying at least two languages to support you in understanding your own culture and those of others. This prepares you for further education and work.
The MYP consists of eight subject groups:
- Language acquisition
- Language and literature
- Individuals and societies
- Physical and health education
The study is supported by a minimum of 50 hours of instruction per subject group in each academic year. To provide greater flexibility, you have the option to take courses from six of the eight subject groups in years 4 and 5.
The MYP aims to help you develop personal understanding, an emerging sense of self and responsibility in the community. The teachers organize the curriculum with appropriate attention to:
- Teaching and learning in context
- Conceptual understanding
- Approaches to learning
- Service as action
- Language and identity
MYP at NLIS
Norlights International School adopted the IB MYP because the philosophy and objectives of this program reflect those of the school. In addition, the IB MYP:
- addresses holistically students’ intellectual, social, emotional and physical well-being;
- provides students opportunities to develop the knowledge, attitudes and skills they need in order to manage complexity and take responsible action for the future;
- ensures breadth and depth of understanding through study in eight subject groups;
- requires the study of at least two languages to support students in understanding their own cultures and those of others;
- empowers students to participate in service with the community;
- helps to prepare students for further education, the workplace and a lifetime of learning.